Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Touched By an Angel

The word angel actually comes from the Greek word aggelos, which means messenger.  I personally believe that angels are messengers that link man to God.  They are here to show us things we might not otherwise see and for those who are lucky enough to gain an audience with an angel, there is one thing for certain...they are here to tell us something very important and we need to pay attention.

How many of us can genuinely say that we have been touched by a real angel?

I have been blessed in the last few weeks to have met a group of people who without a doubt would shoot their arms in the air and answer that question with a resounding ... OH ME, ME, I HAVE!  Their conviction is firm...it is unwavering...it is the truth.  These people are blessed, like us, to have been given the gift of their very own angel.

A few weeks ago our family was highlighted on the  Angelman Syndrome facebook page as part of Angelman Family Friday and in turn I have met so many new families.  I have spoken, via Facebook, to families from the United States, Guam, China, New Zealand, Germany, France, Australia, Canada, Bangkok, British Columbia and the United Kingdom.  There are so many and I am overwhelmed with the numbers.  In a few short weeks I have gone from knowing one other family who is living with an angel to well over a hundred.

The ages of our angels range from one to forty-seven and the range of abilities varies as widely as their ages. There are no two angels who are alike even though they all share the same syndrome.

The common thread that links them all together is that they have been placed gently in the arms of families who have devoted their entire lives to helping them find a place in this world.  They have most likely sacrificed their time, their money, and most definitely the life that they had imagined.   

I recently read The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James.  In it she speaks of the Hebrew word HESED.  There is no word in the English language that can adequately express its meaning.  Basically it means loyal, steadfast, loving-kindness...it means love. Hesed is   the gospel lived out.

" Hesed is driven by a bone deep commitment- 
a loyal selfless love that motivates a person to do
voluntarily what no one has a right to expect or ask of them."

Hesed to me describes perfectly the love and commitment these families have for the children that God has so lovingly and so purposefully placed in their care for just a little while. In turn their angels hold their hands...comfort them...and are a constant source of unconditional love.  Anyone who is privileged enough to be loved by one of these angels will be forever changed.

We all watch in awe as our angels reach out to the rest of the world with their laughter and their joy to share their message.  Their message is simple...it is a message of love and hope and faith. They show us that even simple lives can have great power.



♥1987 Sweet irresistible baby cheeks♥  


My heart swells with joy and thankfulness in my new found friendships with a group of people I will most likely never have the pleasure to meet.

Knowing that there are families out there that struggle every single day, just like us, brings me an enormous sense of comfort. There is comfort in knowing that in the middle of a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day that someone ...somewhere in this very big world is fighting the same fight we are and putting one foot in front of the other as we navigate this unknown path that unites us all.

I am no expert on Angelman Syndrome or raising a child with special needs and I don't have all the answers, or any for that matter.  I am just a mom like all of you, trying everyday to fight the good fight and do the best for my son.  My prayers now include all these precious angels and their families as we all try our very best everyday to understand the world our angels live in and help them to fit into ours.


“Again, truly I tell you that if 
two of you on earth 
agree about anything they ask for, 
It will be done for them by my Father in heaven.  
 For where two or three gather in my name, 
there am I with them.” 
Matthew 18:19-20

♥2012 A Gracie pillow♥

This week I am highlighting my blog post titled Carrying The Cross.
It is by far my personal favorite :)
 If you would like to read it (CLICK HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment