Thursday, August 9, 2012

Desperately Seeking Caregiver...Again!

This is a spur of the moment blog, because I wasn't even going to write one this week.  There will be no pictures, video, or inspirational quotes... and it will most likely end with a few snarky and sarcastic comments which is not my usual style, but sometimes after a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad couple of days a girl just has to release some steam.

In the past year we have been given thirteen hours of in-home care support for Scotty per week.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it is amazing what I can get done with thirteen hours of uninterrupted time.

I could go to six yoga classes (shower included), I could piece together an entire quilt top,  I could finally complete Season 1 of Downton Abbey (so far I have watched the first episode 5 times because I keep forgetting what happens),  I could read Jane Eyre...again,  I could sit at Starbucks with a Triple Trenta and try to finish the book I have been working on for the last five years, or I could just browse around the book store and look at all the books that other people have actually completed.

Oh, and yes of course...I could write this blog in one sitting as opposed to the thirty-eight "sittings" it usually takes me.  And by sitting I mean jumping up and down to attend to Scotty and all the mischief he can get himself into. I am pretty sure in most circles that my blog writing would be considered an aerobic activity.

So the hunt is on once again as we search for our version of Mary Poppins.  If Scotty were to write his own Want Ad like Jane and Michael Banks it would look something like this:

Wanted
Someone who can  accept me just the way I am.
Someone who is going to stick around for awhile,
 because change is very, very hard for me.
Someone who is not squeamish and can tolerate a little drool,
and whatever else seems to ooze out of me.
Someone who will make me pizza and
always have an endless supply of bananas.
Someone who will keep me safe when I can't stop 
banging my head or hitting myself or biting my arm.
Someone who will always be waiting with a hug.
Someone who will play with me and laugh with me.
Someone who will be patient with me 
and my nano second attention span.
Someone who will always be kind to me...no matter what.
Someone who my mom can trust...completely.
And most importantly...
Someone who will never classify me as "just a job".
Hurry Someone! Many Thanks! Sincerely...Scotty

Actually, my Want Ad would look very similar to his however, I would have to add the following (here comes the snarky and sarcastic part):

Not Wanted
Someone who doesn't bother to show up for an interview.
No phone call, no text message, no email...nada!
Someone who says they are very interested,
but can't seem to respond to an email.
Someone who applies for a job as a special needs caregiver,
and after extensive conversations and a home visit
suddenly discloses she doesn't like to be touched...
Come on...SERIOUSLY?

Somewhere out there is Scotty's very own someone who will measure up in every way. She will be loving and kind, and magically she will already know everything we need.

So we will tear up our Want Ads and throw them into the fireplace and wait for a gust of wind from the east to send us our Mary Poppins and when she finally gets here I just know she will be...

 "Practically perfect in every way."



 

"Winds in the east, mist coming in. 
Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin. 
 Can't put me finger on what lies in store, 
 But I fear what's to happen all happened before."
Bert
Mary Poppins 1964


6 comments:

  1. That special person will come along, I just know it. There is no way that God wouldn't provide for someone as amazing as my Bastons. I wish there was something I could do to help, but until then you're all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she will too I am just impatient :) I wish you were here too for lots of reasons! Love you sweetie.

      Delete
  2. I'd so love to use parts of this (WANTED and NOT WANTED) as we once again (ARGH!!!) recruit at our house. YOU, Joanne Parrett Baston, are amazing. From your pen to our hearts with an uncanny accuracy - you paint pictures of our day-to-day that are crystal clear at every stroke. I simply love it. You will find that person for Scotty as we will find that person for Ben (although it has sadly been a lonnnnnng time since we have had a very special someone for him) :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, wouldn't it be just lovely if some things were just easy! Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.
      Joanne

      Delete
  3. Ditto for us! Our last respite worker lasted 5 days(not all in a row). We have a ten yr old AS son also. I would love to talk with you. To be in contact with someone who walks in my shoes daily would be such a God send. I want to thank you so very much for your blog. God has used your eloquent words to lift my broken spirit and strengthen my heart. You and your family are precious. God bless your search and may He send you that special someone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous:) Thank you for your kind words. My purpose in starting this blog was to reach out to others who are struggling too. I am so happy that I have done that for you. I am certainly no expert by any means I just have a bit more time on the job! You can contact me anytime at sandboxmoments@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Peace, Joanne

    ReplyDelete