Wednesday, July 25, 2012

♫ Could I have this Dance for the Rest of my Life...

The words to this song by Anne Murray have the ability to transport me back in time twenty-five years to the days and weeks after we brought Scotty home from the hospital.  Music has a way of pulling us into the past and flooding us with memories of a different time and a different place.

When we brought this beautiful baby boy home from the hospital he did very few things that I had imagined and very few things described in the books I had read.  He didn't eat...he didn't sleep and he cried...oh how he cried...endlessly...all day and all night this child cried.

Steve could calm him by laying him on his chest, rubbing his back, and transmitting his calm vibes into this tense and fretful baby, but when it was my turn I didn't have the same luck.  I am certain that Scotty most likely could sense my anxiety, my unease and my feeling of utter failure at my inability to comfort my own child.

So instead, with the radio playing softly in the background, I walked him and I rocked him hour after hour and night after night trying to quiet my screaming and inconsolable baby.

One night as I paced back and forth across the nursery this song started playing in the background and accompanied the din of infant cries that had become the soundtrack of our nights. I started to sing along with Anne and our impromptu duet unbelievably enough quieted this wailing baby.  When the song finished I continued to sing and dance over and over again...

I'll always remember the song they were playing
 The first time we danced and I knew
As we swayed to the music and held to each other
I fell in love with you
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life...

So night after night we danced around the nursery and I would look at his sweet face as his eyes finally closed and my heart would squeeze with love for my son.  Even though he was only a few weeks old I was already feeling melancholy as I anticipated a time in the future when this  little man of mine would forget the feeling of comfort and safety and love he felt in my arms as we swayed to the music
 
I used to think our time for dancing would last a few short years...years when I was his whole world.  I knew that all too soon he would outgrow me and move on to things far beyond the  reach of my empty, waiting arms.

But like most of the things that I thought I knew 
I couldn't have been more wrong.

For the last two weeks Steve's job has taken him away from home and Scotty and I have been managing the best we can without him.  I wake up each day and try to plan activities that I can handle by myself...activites that keep us both from going stir crazy.  Most mornings include swimming and it helps to pass the time and effectively exhausts my indefatigable son.

The love of water is something common to those with  Angelman Syndrome, so we spend our mornings floating on rafts and diving for squid and fish at the bottom of the pool or playing some silly game we make up. Sometimes, on a really good day I might even get a few pages read in a really great book that has no literary value whatsoever.

Today as we were having horse races on noodles this familiar song started playing and it immediately snapped me back in time.  It brought me back twenty-five years to a night that was filled with sounds of my screaming baby boy...

I'll always remember that magic moment
When I held you close to me
As we moved together, I knew forever
You're all I'll ever need.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life...


With tears in my eyes I said, "Hey Buddy do you remember when you were a baby and we danced to this song?"  Immediately this sweet boy of mine ditched the noodle and the squid he was holding and put his arms around my neck and his head on my shoulder and...

We Danced

I used to think our time for dancing 
would last a few short years.

Who knew?



  You changed my sorrow into dancing.
       You took away my clothes of sadness,
       and clothed me in happiness. 
Psalm 30:11

 
Some video of Scotty's mad swimming skills and since 50%
 ( I really hope it isn't 90%)
of my readers most likely have no idea who my
 duet partner Anne Murray is 
you can hear her singing in the background♥




In keeping with the theme this week I am highlighting 
my blog post titled Happy Birthday Scotty.
If you would like to read it




Below is a link to a beautifully written song by Julie Durden called More Like You
 Julie wrote this song for her niece Chandler who has Angelman Syndrome like our Scotty.
 It is BEAUTIFUL and brings me to tears every time
I listen to it. 
Scotty, Stevi and Sarah are all in it along with
 many other beautiful faces of Angelman Syndrome.
 Please feel free to share it. 


For Stevi- Happy 24th Birthday baby girl.
♥I love you to the moon and back♥




10 comments:

  1. I think that, along with the "not growing up" part of AS, comes a feeling that a memory of something that happened years ago could have happened yesterday. Our grandfather passed away about 20 years ago, but when my brother Daniel sees him in photos or old videotapes, he most certainly recognizes who Grandpa is. Living a "Groundhog Day" kind of life doesn't only mean that today is always the same, but the past is never more than a day away either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your prose reaches out and wraps itself around this mother's heart in a way that only kindred souls can connect. Thank you for sharing your amazing stories; they inspire and bring hope on days that are seeking both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I write completely and totally from my heart. Whatever you are going through on any given day know that so many have been there too and survived! That is how I get through my days because there is so much comfort in knowing you are not alone.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet post! I know he is loves the pool and I loved the video because it's been a while since I've seen him swim! Remember the above ground pool? Those are the swimming days I remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy do I ever! Those were the good old days...Can you say whirlpool? Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori Susanne WhiteJuly 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

    I love your stories about your family which you post (mainly about Scotty, of course). Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori for indulging my desire to write! Thanks for reading and for sharing!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what you are talking about??????

      Delete