Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Carrying the Cross


And as they led him away, 
They seized one Simon of Cyrene, 
Who was coming in from the country, 
And laid on him the cross, 
To carry it behind Jesus.
 Luke 23:26



In my purse I carry a small scrap of paper that 
has the following words written on it:

 Carrying the cross was not what Simon of Cyrene 
had planned that day. 
 He was on his way to do something else.

I can’t remember where I read it, but it brings me great comfort. It reminds me that twenty-five years ago Steve and I were on our way to do something else…we had other plans too.

I feel a certain kinship with Simon.

I am fascinated by this obscure man who is mentioned by name in three of the four gospels as well as the subject of the fifth Station of the Cross. 

I picture him walking behind Jesus carrying his cross for a little while…easing the burden and lightening the load of the One who was suffering such incomprehensible agony…a stranger…and it leaves me breathless.

We all carry around our own cross at one time or another.  They are heavy and cumbersome…they slow our steps, but even as we bow under the tremendous weight we still continue moving forward. Our crosses are never ones we would choose for ourselves and most likely we would not wish our particular burdens on anyone else. If we are fortunate enough we will find someone to help us when we stagger under the heaviness.


The most important thing we could ever do is to carry a cross for someone as they stumble under the weight until they are able to pick it up once again  and continue their journey.


Angelman Syndrome is Scotty’s cross to bear, not ours. However, he will never be able to carry his cross alone …Ever.  

Over the years we have had so many well-meaning people express their concerns about the toll caring for Scotty will take on us. They suggest that perhaps it would be better for us if Scotty lived somewhere else. How would it be better? We have never felt like that is the path in which we were being lead.  Their intentions, though thoughtful, are not ours.  There comes a time when anyone raising a child with special needs must make that decision for themselves. Either decision comes at a huge emotional price.

Make no mistake, being a caregiver 24/7 is agonizingly hard, but having a syndrome that robs you of your speech and your independence and forces you to live in a world that is confusing at best and then be expected to conform to its rules and expectations…

… Is much, much harder. 

Scotty’s cross to bear will never change, he will always have Angelman Syndrome…Always. From now until forever he will always need someone to help him bear the weight of his cross.  And so for as long as we are able, Steve and I will stand side by side with this sweet boy and share his burden no matter how Herculean the task might seem.

Like Simon of Cyrene we were called upon by name.
Like Simon of Cyrene we were not given a choice.
Like Simon of Cyrene, we were on our way to do something else…

...Something much less important.  






But how could
we have done
anything else? 














Carry each other's burdens,
and in the way
you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2 



Have a Blessed Easter

2 comments:

  1. From Lydia: All your posts touch my heart, but this one really resonates. No matter what your religion, creed, or spritual beliefs, kindness to others is one of my bedrock beliefs. Keep writing, keep writing, and keep writing. (This is only way I have figured out how to post - anonymously but NOT).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am stopped in my tracks. What a jerk I have been. I have been crying and thinking "why me" all along, how hard it is going to be for me, how difficult it is going to be for me.......it's my son, he is the one with angelman syndrome. Wow, God has used you to open my eyes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete