Wednesday, January 30, 2013

♫ These are days you'll remember...

 Never before and never since, 
I promise, will the whole world be warm as this. 
And as you feel it, you'll know it's true that 
you are blessed and lucky.
 It's true that you are touched by something...
(10,000 Maniacs)

These are Days is definitely one of my all time favorite 
songs and it seemed a perfect fit for this week's blog.
Scotty and I had one of those days...
A day to remember...
A day to feel blessed...
A day to feel lucky to have this odd, quirky, unique
man/child to share my days with.
 
Last week we experienced an
 unusually sunny 75° day in January.

I convinced Scotty (okay I bribed him with a hamburger)
to take a walk around the lake.
There was no one else around and he was free
to walk and explore with no boundaries.
Free to just be Scotty!

In turn I was blessedly free as well.
Free to stroll at a pace much more suited to my age
and athletic ability... a pace much different from
the all out sprint that "walking" with Scotty usually entails.

Free to hold a cup of coffee in my hands instead
of keeping a firm grip on him so he doesn't...
RUN!

Free to soak up every drop of warmth the sunshine 
had to offer and savor the peace and quiet,
instead of being on high alert  
for places he is not supposed to go,
and people and things he isn't supposed to touch.



As I strolled leisurely behind him
I couldn't help but smile at this peculiar
little guy as I watched him awkwardly
galloping down the path...
dragging poor Bonnie on her leash...
carrying his church prayer book...
and "wearing butt inspection gloves."
(Stupid quote from Home Alone 3 that we can't stop saying)

Just like those 10,000 maniacs predicted...
this was a day I'll remember.
A day to be still.
  A day of living quietly in the moment
 with my own little maniac♥


The Lord will fight for you, 
and you have only to be still.
Exodus 14:14 


Writing my blog today took less than an hour for a change because Scotty amazingly enough was completely absorbed in some major multi-tasking.  He was reverently watching Mass on TV, listening to his "church" music on his Ipad, and reading the Magnificat (a daily Catholic prayer book).  The only time he bothered me was to come hold my hand up in the air so we could pray the Our Father together...how sweet is that!  Gosh...how many people are blessed like that in their day?

Here are a few pictures of my holy little guy...
"butt inspection gloves" and all.





























This sweet little face in Scotty's hand...next to his prayer book...is Miss Emma Claire.  This was a picture that was sent to Scotty in a package of goodies chosen especially for him from her Mommy. This little lady is the grandaughter of our friends Karen and Dave.  Emma Claire's mother and father are part of the next generation of "villagers" who continue to love and care for our Scotty.  This next generation consists of the now grown children of our "villagers".

Unlike Scotty this next generation has left behind the things of childhood and moved onto jobs, marriage and babies...It is exactly as it should be.

All of their parents, our dearest friends, have taught them well...they have shown them by example in a million different ways to love Scotty and treat him with kindness and compassion and to never forget how important they all are to him no matter how old they get or how far away this life takes them.

And we are blessed.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

So as I am proofreading this one last time Scotty came flip flopping into the room laughing...it appears his odd fascination with "butt inspection gloves" has progressed to a whole new level...
Hmmmmm...


Note to self:
I just used "butt inspection gloves" three times in one post.
Clearly I need some adult time or
maybe I need to watch a movie every now and then
that is rated something other than PG!

No comments:

Post a Comment