Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Great Bastoni

 Come One...
Come All...
To the Greatest Show on Earth.

Appearing daily...The Amazing Bastoni!
He performs amazing feats that will 
both surprise and baffle the audience.

The surprising and baffling part is that this child has 
an I.Q. so low that it can't be accurately measure,
yet he has the complex thought processes that 
allow him to plan, reason and plot far beyond
his supposed "abilities."

From the time Scotty was very small he was able 
to escape any means of confinement that 
we foolishly thought would keep him in 
one place and keep him safe.

He started out small...
cribs, playpens, high chairs,
but soon he moved on to bigger challenges...
baby gates, backyard gates and double-bolted 
child-locked front doors.

The only other escapologist that comes close 
to matching his fame is the great Harry Houdini.



We exhaustively spent the first twenty or so years
 of his life searching the neighbors houses for
The Great Bastoni.

A neighbor we had never met came downstairs one day
to a darling little curly haired boy sitting
in her family room holding her dog.

My favorite story is the time he ran into
a neighbor's house that we had never met,
did a loop around their downstairs and ran right back
out the front door with Steve close on his heels.
 They looked up from their Sunday paper
 in stunned silence as Steve ran by and said,
"Morning."
They never even moved.
If he wasn't running into someone's house
or playing with their dog, he was eating food
 out of their fridge.

His favorite game was
 running down our street with 
wild abandon with us in in hot pursuit. 

He is freakishly fast for a
little guy who consistently refuses 
to participate in anything
that might resemble physical activity.

The sounds of his laughter and
our breathless yelling, "Scotty STOP," 
have certainly been the topic of many 
dinner table discussions in this neighborhood.
In the past few years his efforts have turned to
breaking IN instead of breaking OUT.

It is his daily mission to get into ALL
the locked doors and cabinets in our house.
Doors that are locked to keep him 
out for various reasons.
They keep him from curling up on the beds 
and going to sleep, or from 
making unnecessary messes,
and from eating every morsel of food in the house.

We have key locks, hasp locks, 
and door knobs that need to
 be opened with a penny 
or a pokey thing like a toothpick.
Most doors have at least two types of locks.

None of which can keep him out.

Last week, he came and got me and asked me to help him.
He dragged me to the firesafe, 
handed me a penny and wanted me to help him open it.
The safe???
Really???


Where is he getting this stuff?
I asked him to empty his pockets and this is what I found...


Honestly this made me day.
Coins, toothpicks, a key...typical.
Sonic mint, tweezers and a $20???
That cracked me up.

I guess his resume would include
escapologist, lock picker, safe cracker, 
splinter taker-outer and petty thief.

Once again this little man amazes me.

I wish more than anything that I had access to
the elaborate labyrinth that is his mind...
just a brief glimpse into what makes him tick.

So today I will be thankful for this new set of
shenanigans, because it means he is still growing, 
still learning, and always thinking.


The greater the obstacle 
the more glory
in overcoming it.
Moliere
(and The Great Bastoni)





2 comments:

  1. Chloe & Scotty are twins. So true... The more frustrating, the more i go,"now what will we do", the more I get to know my daughter, & understand what is in her mind. Thanks for reminding me to look @ the progression instead of the spilled milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love your blog. It is helping me so much.

    ReplyDelete