Wednesday, April 17, 2013

One Step at a Time

 
A journey of a thousand miles
begins with one step.
~Lao Tzu~
 
It seems like every time you turn around lately there is a race or a walk or a bike ride of some variety going on in the area.  More often than not the proceeds raised from these events will go toward a worthy cause, and I have walked in many over the years myself.  For me each event was a chance to in some small way assist in funding research or finding a cure for devastating illnesses, many of which have affected some of my very dearest friends.

However, if I am being totally honest, it was usually more about getting some exercise, visiting with friends, enjoying the sunshine, and maybe winning some door prizes.
 
Until now.
 
On May 18 there will be a nationwide walk to benefit Angelman Syndrome.
 
The Angelman Syndrome Foundation Walk has been an essential source of funding for the ASF since its start in 1999. What began as a single volunteer walk site, now includes 28 walks across the country and is recognized as the top fundraising event for the organization. Through education, information, research, advocacy and support, your participation in the National Walk helps all of us at ASF take strides toward improving the lives of those impacted by AS. With your help, we are moving closer to powerful treatments and an EVENTUAL CURE for Angelman syndrome. We are continually grateful for the support that we receive year after year. 
CLICK HERE for Angelman Syndrome Website

A cure...

Something that is so far beyond our wildest dreams that until now it is something we never dared to hope for.

Finally, I understand. The walks, races and rides certainly are about raising money, but to those directly affected they are so much more.   

They are about hope.  Hope for an uncertain future.  Hope for a cure.  Hope for our children.

For I know the plans I have for you,
declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11
 


So on May 18 we will walk side by side, one step at a time, with a legion of God's chosen angels and their families, and I am sure it will be counted as one of our greatest blessings.
 
 
We will walk because we have hope. 
 
We will walk for Scotty.
 
 
 
 I am not sure if this guy will show up at the walk...
 
...Or this guy.
 
Or what his foot attire of choice will be...
 
 
...But either way you can be certain that this family
will continue to put one foot in front of the other,
one step at a time until they find a cure.
 
If you would like to walk...or sit on the ground with your arms
folded and throw a hissy fit, because both scenarios work in
our world...let me know and I will add you to Team Scotty♥
 
Here is a link to our fundraising page for Team Scotty.
Every penny, nickel, dime, and quarter WILL make a difference!
 
Thank you and God Bless You!
 
For we walk by faith, not by sight.
2 Corinthians 5:7
 





1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing this info! I had no idea there were walks for Angelman - I'm really curious to see what the turnout is like, seeing is how it's much more uncommon than the many other walk-causes.

    I'll have to share this with my parents, and hopefully our family can participate in the Philadelphia (actually Pennsauken, NJ) walk. And know that, even if I'm not supporting the cause through your team, I most certainly am supporting the cause.

    A cure... it's an interesting thought, isn't it? When I was a kid, I dreamed of trying to make my brother "normal", I even made a vow to teach him to talk (which still goes unfulfilled). Now, if I think of him regaining all the abilities he doesn't have, I'm not so sure I'd want it. If not functionally, he would still be socially and educationally behind everyone else and he'd still have his visible assortment of "battle-scars" -- only this time he would know it, and he would know that others know it too. Sometimes I feel like the naivety that comes along with AS is a blessing. It protects him from feeling bad about himself.

    I love Scotty's choice of footwear. It may not be appropriate for a walk, but I love it nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete