Wednesday, April 25, 2012

P.S.


In the previous blog I told the story about our Scotty and how in the blink of an eye he changed from an ordinary boy into a Superhero. The story of our little hero didn't end there. 

I think we can all agree that what Scotty did that summer day was pretty amazing, but factor in his limitations and it was certainly nothing short of a miracle.  The recognition that was given to him was really a message to all of us...never ever discount someone because they have different abilities than what most people consider normal.  The gifts that children with special needs have to share with others are usually quite extraordinary.  Scotty was a shining example that day of the works of our God.

And so we get to the P.S. of this story that happened a few weeks later.

Scotty was scheduled to receive the Danger Ranger "Tiny But Tough" medal at North Park Mall in Dallas.  My husband was out of town so my friend Patty and her children and Sean's family came along as part of Scotty's entourage. 

During the ceremony I was so afraid that the crowd, the noise and the chaos would throw Scotty into a tailspin, but he handled it all like a champ.  Of course the promise of a hamburger and french fries certainly helped.  He graciously accepted his medal and off we went in search of a McDonalds.  He proudly held his medal up to anyone who happened to be looking in his direction.















Before I go any further with this story it is important to understand just how difficult it is for Scotty to communicate. Our life has been one long game of charades as he tries desperately to make us understand.   In his attempt to get our attention he is constantly tapping, grabbing, and pulling on us until we finally acknowledge him.


With that said it is not surprising that it is quite common for him to reach out to strangers in the only way he knows how...by touching them.

So as we waited in line a smiling Scotty reached up and grabbed the arm of a man who just happened to be standing within arms reach. In his other hand he was holding up his shiny, new medal to show this stranger.  Before I had a chance to offer an explanation....

...the little boy they had just called a Hero got his hand smacked.

It rendered me speechless.  I literally was unable to form words.  To say I was stunned would be an understatement.

The man's face showed the briefest moment of regret as he mumbled some sort of what I assumed was an apology and walked away.  An apology I am certain was issued only because he recognized  Scotty's disability.

Shame on him.

I was overcome with tears as I looked down at my son with his big, drooly smile...still holding up his medal...still waiting for this man to show the proper amount of admiration.  He never stopped smiling and he never stopped waiting.


This sweet little boy with the shiny new medal had never experienced such an unspeakable act of unkindness until this moment...

...And neither had I.

Unfortunately for both of us it wouldn't be the last.

While the tears poured down my face, this little boy who had just received a medal for heroism and a slap on the hand within minutes of each other was once again a shining example of the works of our God.


My son who is so innocent...so pure of heart...so forgiving... knows nothing of the evil in this world.  He holds no anger...no resentment...no animosity in his heart. 


Regrettably, I still need a lot of work.



 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted,
 forgiving each other just as 
God in Christ also has forgiven you.
 Ephesians 4:32






Channel 11 Broadcast



Ft. Worth Star Telegram



Scotty and Sean 1996



 
















Scotty and Sean 2012











Believe it or not I actually have a P.S.S. if there is such a thing.

As I started this blog last week I googled Scotty's name to see if I could pull up the newspaper articles or the Channel 11 news story. Instead I found his story included in a book called Real Miracles, Divine Interventions, and Feats of Incredible Survival by Brad and Sherry Steiger.  I contacted the authors and the following is the email response as well as a link to the book.  It actually takes you right to the story.  Very Cool!


Dear Joanne,

It was very nice to hear from you.  When we read a newspaper interview with you and reporter Ruth Watts and learned of Scott's heroism and noted that he had received the 1996 White Helmet award, we thought it was a remarkable and inspiring story and decided that he was most deserving of a brief entry in our book. You must be very proud of him.  It is great to see that you are starting a blog about your life with Scott.  It is certain to be very helpful to many families. Certainly you have permission to include our email response. Your blog is fantastic!  .
Many Blessings to Scott, to you, and your family,
Brad and Sherry

Here is a link to their book.
Real Miracles,Divine Interventions, and Feats of Incredible Survival

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! That is SO NEAT! :-) Technology is such a wonderful thing! I am so happy you found that book! I loved the post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Scotty's "Danger Ranger" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, Scotty never ceases to amaze me! He is so smart and trys to be so patient with those of us who cannot read his mind. When I was substituting in his class, he taught me the sign for ice cream!!! I am so glad you share Scotty with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheree...next to hamburger and pizza it is still his most used sign :)

      Delete
  4. I just read your blog. I'm having a hard time trying not to throw up because of that horrific man!

    I'll tell you, I've known you a long time, I've witnessed a lot of distress in your Scotty's mom's world - you have heroically put a smile on your face and soldiered through this kind of stuff. I never knew this story. I imagine there are many you have held in your heart and wish to put away forever. Maybe writing them down and sharing them will help.

    My peace to you friend today and always, Love Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend for your never ending support and love for this family!

      Delete