Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I've Had the Time of My Life


Today is one of those days that I want to remember.
To many just another ordinary Wednesday
in the middle of August, 
but to me it will forever be a treasured memory
that I will tuck away for a rainy day.
A day we almost missed  because our day began at 4am...
and I was soooooo tired...too tired to wrestle the beast,
but a 10 minute nap and a ridiculous amount of coffee,
and I was ready to go!

Our movie theater offered a
few classic movies this summer...
Ghostbusters, Grease, and Back to the Future,
 but today's offering was Dirty Dancing... 
one of my all time favorites and a movie Scotty
has seen hundreds of times.
So for a few hours this afternoon 
we traveled to Kellermans and lost ourselves
 in the familiar surroundings of the Catskill Mountains.


My children grew up on Dirty Dancing.
I am certain they know all the words
to the songs and most definitely
remember a few these sweet dance moves.






As we walked in this afternoon the movie had just begun,
 and as soon as Scotty heard the music
he literally jumped for joy.  
He immediately broke out some of his dance moves
and started laughing...hysterically...
the doubled over belly laughing kind of laugh. 

We go to lots of movies, but this is the first time he has 
ever gone to see one of his favorites.
HE..WAS...SO...EXCITED.
(And so was I)
It was contagious.


I didn't stop smiling through the whole movie. 
Oddly, or maybe not so much if you know me at all,
but I had tears rolling down my face at the same time for most of the show.
Partly because Patrick Swayze is
SO..DARN...HANDSOME,
but mostly because I was once again
reminded by my young son how to be joyful.
The kind of joy that bubbles up out of you until it explodes.


Thank you Scotty for reminding me just how lucky
I am to be able to spend my days with you.
Sure it's true that every day isn't like today,
but without all the 
terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days
that we sometimes have
a day like today wouldn't be half as wonderful...
It would have just been an ordinary
Wednesday afternoon in the middle of August.

Thank you for reminding me that is
perfectly okay to clap along 
really loudly (in perfect rhythm I might add)
to the music,and to sing very loudly
in a language only you can understand.

Thank you for reminding me
 that is perfectly acceptable 
to stand up in the middle of a
crowded movie theater
and dance, wiggle, and shake your booty
while you raise
your arms in the air and try to
get everyone in the theater to join you.

Thank you for helping me remember
what it feels like to have so much joy
bubble up inside you that it
makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

Scotty boy, today
I had the time of my life...
and I owe it all to you.


There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every 

activity under the heavens...
 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance... 
Ecclesiastes 3


2 comments:

  1. Joanne, you express life's moments so well. I had a tear in my heart for the joy and happiness I remember with Gerry. We both love this movie and the actors.

    In the future,when I watch this movie, I will jump up and shake my "saggy booty and arms" and sing along. I will call this move "doing the Scotty". God bless you! Bob

    ReplyDelete