Thursday, February 9, 2012

Colonoscopies, Birthdays and Best Friends

     Intriguing title wouldn't you say?  What could those three things possibly have in common? I will tell you this...Scotty is the single strand of thread that binds this odd collection of topics together.

     Each year when my birthday rolls around in February my mailbox suddenly fills up with reminder cards for all the medical appointments I need to make.  Now that I have taken several giant steps into my fifties the cards seem to multiply exponentially each year.  So with dragging feet and dread in my stomach I make the reluctant journey to visit all those nice thoughtful doctors who are kind enough to send me "birthday" cards.   

     These annual visits involve poking, prodding and squishing of various parts of my rapidly aging body...Ahhh...but this year I had the thrill of experiencing my first colonoscopy.  For those of you who have had the pleasure... you understand all the joy and humiliation that comes with that, and for those of you that haven't... I will graciously let you experience that little bit of sunshine on your own without any further commentary from me.

     I hate it...I hate all of it, but I do it...every year...without fail because I don't have a choice.  My son needs me to be healthy and strong...he needs me to be responsible and do everything I possibly can so I can be around for as many birthdays as God sees fit to Bless me with.

     I do it for Scotty. 

    On this my fifty third birthday I find myself overwhelmingly grateful.  
...I am grateful for another year of good health...
...I am grateful for my family...
...I am grateful for best friends who get up at 6am to come stay with Scotty and make soup and angel food cake and egg sandwiches just so I can have a warm meal, made with love, waiting for me when I come back from unpleasant procedures...
... And this year I am even grateful for colonoscopies...mostly that it is over, but grateful nonetheless.

     So for me birthdays are not about presents and cake or complaining about getting older, instead they are a time to be thankful for my health, my family, for best friends who love my son unconditionally and most importantly another year I get to continue being Scotty's Mom.

"I have carried you since you were born;
I have taken care of you from your birth. 
Even when you are old, I will be the same. 
Even when your hair has turned gray, 
I will take care of you.                 
  I will sustain you and I will rescue you."             
   Isaiah 46:3-4

2 comments:

  1. More tears from me - that is the bestest smile from Scotty ever! He must really be thankful that you had a colonoscopy :) I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the night I've had this is JUST what I needed to read!!! :-) In case you're wondering what I'm referring to..Emma Claire is spending her first night in the crib tonight. To say that lots of tears have been shed is an understatement. Almost 4 hours later and someone is finally quiet. Sigh.


    All of that to say I loved your post and I wonder who in the world would've visited your house that early and made all of that food? hehe I actually got to talk to Scotty today and the first thing he did when he heard my voice was make his ipad say "I Love you". How I love your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete